Lethal gas produced by burning fuels
What’s invisible, odorless and colorless but can really make you sick? You guessed it — carbon monoxide (CO)!
This potentially lethal gas is created when fuels, such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane, burn incompletely. And the danger is no joke — according to the National Safety Council, 200-300 unintentional-injury deaths a year are due to CO poisoning.
Symptoms of CO Poisoning shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, light headedness or headaches.
To protect against CO Emergencies, install CO alarms in a central location outside each sleeping area and test monthly; never use your oven to heat your home; don’t run a fuel-burning vehicle or generator indoors, even if garage doors are open; only use barbecue grills — which can produce CO — outside. Never use them in the home, garage or near building openings.
When camping, remember to use battery-powered lights in tents, trailers, and motor homes.
If your CO alarm sounds:
- Immediately move to a fresh air location and call for help. Remain at the fresh air location until emergency personnel say it is OK.
- If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries or other trouble indicators.
- If you suspect that gas heating equipment or appliances are emitting carbon monoxide, call the appropriate repair service or NW Natural immediately at 503-226-4211.
“Properly maintained appliances and heating equipment is the first step to safeguarding against CO poisoning,” said Jenna Cooper-Gross NW Natural spokesperson.
If a natural gas range or other gas equipment stops working, customers shouldn’t attempt to re-light them. Contact NW Natural.