Recipe: Mama's Macaroni and Cheese
Sharelle D. Lowery | 1/8/2014, 2:40 p.m.
Macaroni and Cheese is a dish that is revered in the American Black kitchen. There are so many ways to make it and every recipe brings joy and delight to our taste buds.
My own Mother's Macaroni and Cheese brings people across the country from the east coast to sit their feet under her table and taste that creamy pasta dish that she is known for. I have included my Mama's recipe and some secret tips! No boxed Mac and Cheese here!
Mama's Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Recipe Type: Pasta
Cuisine: Soul Food | Black Cuisine | Southern Food
Author: Corrie J. Sampson
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
This is a simple but rich and decadent recipe. It is perfect for a young newlywed wanting to impress her husband!
• 1 cup of Sharp Cheese
• 1 cup of Colby cheese
• 1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese
• 3 tablespoons of fresh garlic minced
• 16 oz. of dry macaroni pasta
• Pam, non-stick cooking spray
• 1 stick of butter cut in quarters
• 5 heaping tablespoons of garlic salt
• 2 tablespoons of salt
• 3 Heaping tablespoons of pepper
• 1/2 can of PET Evaporated milk
• Cooking tools: Boiling pot and baking pan
- In a large soup pot, fill it half way with water, one teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of olive oil or butter.
- Turn the pot up to high and cover.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grate all three of the cheeses and place them in three seperate bowls.
- Mince 3 tablespoons of fresh garlic.
- Add the Macaroni Pasta of your choice to the boiling water and cook until it is tender.
- When the pasta has been cooked to your satisfaction, remove it from the water and rinse the pasta under cold water.
- In a large baking pan, coat the pan with Pam non-stick cooking spray.
- Empty the macaroni into the pan, spread evenly throughout the pan.
- Add the butter into the 4 quarters of the pasta dish. Mix well.
- Add all three of the cheese and wix well.
- Add garlic salt.
- Add salt.
- Add pepper.
- Mix well and taste.
- Add PET Evaporated milk.
- Add garlic.
- Mix well.
- Now is the time to taste the uncooked Macaroni and Cheese.
- It should be tangy and very juicy so that it never dries out when you are baking it.
- Bake the Macaroni and Cheese at 375 for 30-45 minutes.
- You will know that the macaroni is ready to come out of the oven when it begins to get a little golden crust in the corners.
- The crust is the BEST part!
I love this recipe and here are a few tips and tricks to make your version of my Mama's Macaroni and Cheese yours and perfect:
- Taste the dish as you mix it. Cheeses can taste differently sometimes and you may need to add more pasta or not as much milk. This is a dish that you need to make to cater to your tastes.
- Do not cook the noodles too long. Remember that you are going to bake them as well.
- USE PAM! Other non-stick cooking sprays will not prevent the dish from sticking as well to the baking pan and coating the pan with butter will cause the dish to burn on the bottom.
- Other options to add to your Macaroni and Cheese: Cooked bacon, spicy pepper jack cheese.
- I hope that you enjoy this rich recipe! Tell me what you add to your Macaroni to make it yours!
Sharelle D. Lowery
Follow Me on Twitter for more Lifestyle Tips! @ClassySharelle